The latest Storybundle features not just one but two of HG101 ebooks! If you pay $5, you’ll get a copy of Retro Indie Games Vol. 1, along with Game Boy Works Vol. I by Jeremy Parish, You and Your Friends Are Dead by Joel Couture (an exclusive book about the NES Friday the 13th game), and PS2 and Xbox Video Games You Will Never Play by Unseed64. If you go for the bonus level and pay $15, you’ll get all of that, as well as our Contra and Other Konami Classics book, plus a whole ton of other stuff, including Game Boy Works Vol. 2, again by Jeremy Parish, Memories of Arcadia by John Harris, Boss Fight Books: Katamari Damacy by L. E. Hall, and more! Thirteen books total puts that at just over $1 per book.
The full official blog post is below:
The weather outside may be frightful, but StoryBundle’s Spring Fired-Up Bundle offers 13 books—our biggest collection yet!—about gaming culture and development to melt your winter doldrums, available for a limited time on www.storybundle.com.
David L. Craddock delves even deeper into randomly generated dungeons in Dungeon Hacks: Expanded Edition, which provides an extensive look at the making of early roguelike RPGs as well as a new interview with Rogue’s co-creators and three extra books on games influenced by the genre. In GameDev Stories; Volume 2, Craddock curates 13 interviews from the hundreds of hours of conversations he’s had with developers of games spanning InFamous and Prototype to Diablo and Hack.
Journalist and prolific Nintendo historian Jeremy Parish maps out two years of classic Game Boy games with Game Boy Works Volume 1 and Game Boy Works Volume 2, covering beloved and more obscure titles such as Alleyway, Pipe Dream, and Boomer’s Adventure in ASMIK World.
Alongside those four DRM-free eBooks, John Harris collects write-ups of arcade games curated from his Extended Play indie mag, Boss Fight Books author Laura E. Hall rolls through the history of Katamari Damacy, journalist Wes Locher explores the community around enduring MMO classic Ultima Online, Hardcore Gaming 101’s Kurt Kalata blasts a path through Contra and other shoot-em-ups, and more.
StoryBundle is a pay-what-you-want platform for independent authors to share their works with readers (and gamers) like you. Paying at least $5 will get you four books from the Spring Fired-Up Game Bundle, while paying $15 or more will get you six bonus books. – David L. Craddock
For StoryBundle, you decide what price you want to pay. For $5 (or more, if you’re feeling generous), you’ll get the basic bundle of four books in any ebook format—WORLDWIDE.
- Game Boy Works Vol. I by Jeremy Parish
- You and Your Friends Are Dead by Joel Couture
- HG101 Presents: The Guide to Retro Indie Games Vol. 1 by Kurt Kalata
- PS2 and Xbox Video Games You Will Never Play by Unseen64
If you pay at least the bonus price of just $15, you get all four of the regular books, plus NINE more!
- GameDev Stories: Volume 2 by David L. Craddock
- Dungeon Hacks: Expanded Edition by David L. Craddock
- Game Boy Works Vol. 2 by Jeremy Parish
- Memories of Arcadia by John Harris
- Boss Fight Books: Katamari Damacy by L. E. Hall
- HG101 Presents: Contra and Other Konami Classics by Kurt Kalata
- GameCube Video Games You Will Never Play by Unseen64
- Braving Britannia by Wes Locher
- Dreamcast Video Games You Will Never Play by Unseen64
This bundle is available only for a limited time via http://www.storybundle.com. It allows easy reading on computers, smartphones, and tablets as well as Kindle and other ereaders via file transfer, email, and other methods. You get multiple DRM-free formats (.epub and .mobi) for all books!
It’s also super easy to give the gift of reading with StoryBundle, thanks to our gift cards – which allow you to send someone a code that they can redeem for any future StoryBundle bundle – and timed delivery, which allows you to control exactly when your recipient will get the gift of StoryBundle.
Why StoryBundle? Here are just a few benefits StoryBundle provides.
- Get quality reads: We’ve chosen works from excellent authors to bundle together in one convenient package.
- Pay what you want (minimum $5): You decide how much these fantastic books are worth. If you can only spare a little, that’s fine! You’ll still get access to a batch of exceptional titles.
- Support authors who support DRM-free books: StoryBundle is a platform for authors to get exposure for their works, both for the titles featured in the bundle and for the rest of their catalog. Supporting authors who let you read their books on any device you want—restriction free—will show everyone there’s nothing wrong with ditching DRM.
- Give to worthy causes: Bundle buyers have a chance to donate a portion of their proceeds to The Video Game History Foundation!
- Receive extra books: If you beat the bonus price, you’ll get the bonus books!
StoryBundle was created to give a platform for independent authors to showcase their work, and a source of quality titles for thirsty readers. StoryBundle works with authors to create bundles of ebooks that can be purchased by readers at their desired price. Before starting StoryBundle, Founder Jason Chen covered technology and software as an editor for Gizmodo.com and Lifehacker.com.