The latest Storybundle includes a whopping 95 video game-themed ebooks, including 13 of ours, for only $30! It’s an incredible value that works out to about 33 cents per book. Our included books are:
- The Guide to Classic Graphic Adventures
- HG101 Presents: An Unofficial Guide to Castlevania
- HG101 Presents: Sega Arcade Classics Vol. 1
- HG101 Presents: Sega Arcade Classics Vol. 2
- HG101 Presents: Unofficial Guide to Konami Shooters
- HG101 Presents: The Guide to Shoot-em-ups Vol. 1
- HG101 Presents: The Guide to Retro Indie Games Vol. 1
- HG101 Presents: Contra and Other Konami Classics
- HG101 Presents – The 200 Best Video Games of All Time
- Retro Game Super Translation Selection
- HG101 Digest Vol 1 – Strider and Bionic Commando
- HG101 Digest Vol 2 – Taito Arcade Classics
- HG101 Presents: Épopée – Tales from French Game Developers
Any HG101 books not included in the Storybundle have been discounted at 20% at itch.io until December 25th, including two of the big releases for 2020, Wrestling with Pixels and The Unofficial Guide to Shin Megami Tensei and Persona.
Other works include six books from Boss Fight Books, the first two volumes of the Untold History of Japanese Game Developers, several books by Unseen64, and other books from the likes of Jeremy Parish, David Craddock. Joel Couture, John Harris, and many others!
- Stay Awhile and Listen Book 1 – Legendary Edition by David L. Craddock
- Somebody Set Up Us the ROM, Part One by John Harris
- An Introduction To Video Games You Will Never Play by Unseen64
- Game Boy Works Vol. I by Jeremy Parish
- Stay Awhile and Listen (2): Lords of Terror Edition by David L. Craddock
- Dungeon Hacks: Expanded Edition by David L. Craddock
- Arcade Perfect by David L. Craddock
- GameDev Stories: Interviews About Game Development and Culture by David L. Craddock
- GameDev Stories: Volume 2 by David L. Craddock
- GameDev Stories – Volume 3 by David L. Craddock
- GameDev Stories: Volume 4 by David L. Craddock
- GameDev Stories: Volume 6 – How Games Are Made by David L. Craddock
- Red to Black – The Making of Rogue Legacy by David L. Craddock
- Bottomless Pit – Volume 1 by David L. Craddock
- Rocket Jump: Quake and the Golden Age of First-Person Shooters by David L. Craddock
- Anything But Sports – The Making of FTL by David L. Craddock
- Once Upon a Point & Click by David L. Craddock
- Everybody Shake! – The Making of Spaceteam by David L. Craddock
- Beneath a Starless Sky by David L. Craddock
- Stairway to Badass by David L. Craddock
- So You Want to Play Go? by Jonathan Hop
- Put This In Your Brain: The Best of Unwinnable Weekly by Stu Horvath & the Unwinnable Writers
- Designers & Dragons – 1970s, 1980s, 1990s & 2000s by Shannon Appelcline
- A Psychogeography of Games by Hannah Nicklin
- The Game Beat by Kyle Orland
- Braving Britannia by Wes Locher
- The Black Book of Animal Crossing New Horizons by John Harris
- 21 Unexpected Games to Love on the Atari VCS by John Harris
- 8-Bit Obituaries by John Harris
- Memories of Arcadia by John Harris
- Somebody Set Up Us the ROM, Part Two by John Harris
- Fallen Down – Heartache & Compassion in Undertale by Joel Couture
- T. – A Video Game Ghost Story by Joel Couture
- You and Your Friends Are Dead by Joel Couture
- Figure Fight by John Harris
- Level Up! A JRPG Creator’s Handbook by John Harris
- Bug Voyage! by John Harris
- Pleasant Dreams: The Welcoming Play of Kirby’s Dream Land by Joel Couture
- Faster Than Light by Jamie Lendino
- The Walkthrough: Insider Tales from a Life in Strategy Guides by Doug Walsh
- Honoring the Code by Matt Barton
- Dungeons & Desktops by Matt Barton
- History of Digital Games: Developments in Art, Design and Interaction by Andrew Williams
- Videogames for Humans by Merritt Kopas
- Negatives by Mathew Kumar
- Video War by Stephen Manes
- GameCube Video Games You Will Never Play by Unseen64
- Nintendo 64 Games You Will Never Play by Unseen64
- PC Games You Will Never Play by Unseen64
- PS2 and Xbox Video Games You Will Never Play by Unseen64
- Sega Saturn Games You Will Never Play by Unseen64
- Wii, PS3 and Xbox 360 Video Games You Will Never Play by Unseen64
- Verb/ose by Duncan R. Piasecki
- Dreamcast Video Games You Will Never Play by Unseen64
- Handheld Video Games You Will Never Play by Unseen64
- PlayStation Games You Will Never Play by Unseen64
- The Untold History of Japanese Game Developers Vol. 1 by John Szczepaniak
- The Untold History of Japanese Game Developers: Vol. 2 by John Szczepaniak
- Souls of Darkness by Gary Butterfield
- Commodork – Sordid Tales from a BBS Junkie by Rob O’Hara
- Commodorkier – New Tales from an Old Dork by Rob O’Hara
- Candid Conversations in Code by Ethan Johnson
- NES Works Volume 1: 1985 by Jeremy Parish
- The Anatomy of Super Mario by Jeremy Parish
- Game Boy Works Vol. 2 by Jeremy Parish
- NES Works Volume 2: 1986 by Jeremy Parish
- Critical Hits by Zoe Jellicoe
- Heterotopias 001 by Gareth Damian Martin
- Clipping Through – One Mad Week in Video Games by Leigh Alexander
- Boss Fight Books: EarthBound by Ken Baumann
- Boss Fight Books: Jagged Alliance 2 by Darius Kazemi
- Boss Fight Books: Super Mario Bros. 2 by Jon Irwin
- Boss Fight Books: Chrono Trigger by Michael P. Williams
- Boss Fight Books: ZZT by Anna Anthropy
- Boss Fight Books: Galaga by Michael Kimball
- Continue? The Boss Fight Books Anthology by Gabe Durham
- You Died: The Unofficial Dark Souls Companion by Keza MacDonald and Jason Killingsworth
- Generation Decks: The Unofficial History of Magic the Gathering by Titus Chalk
- Trigger Happy 2.0 by Steven Poole
- Dungeons & Dreamers by Brad King and John Borland
- Game of X – Vol 1.: The Untold History of Xbox by Rusel DeMaria
- Game of X – Vol. 2 by Rusel DeMaria
The full press release is below!
Every new generation of gaming hardware brings a new crop of remastered, remade, and reimagined classics from yesteryear. In that spirit, the Greatest Hits Game Bundle celebrates the history of video game development and culture by collecting 95 of our best books from game bundles of the past in one massive, final boss-sized compilation—and your last chance to get these DRM-free tomes at unbeatable prices.
Don your adventurer’s cap and delve into Dungeons & Desktops with historian and professor Matt Barton. Join fellow historian Jeremy Parish as he revisits the turbulent beginnings of Nintendo’s breakout systems in volumes one and two of NES Works and Game Boy Works. Author, journalist, and game designer Leigh Alexander delivers a deeply personal account of the games industry in Clipping Through: One Mad Week in Video Games.
Venerable publisher Boss Fight Books delivers six of its critically acclaimed stories that weave personal histories into development sagas. Fight on the fields of Azeroth, through Hell, and up to the stars in David L. Craddock’s Stay Awhile and Listen: Book I and Book II, which explore the making of Blizzard Entertainment’s WarCraft and StarCraft franchises, and Blizzard North’s Diablo and Diablo II.
All that, plus veteran games reporter Kyle Orland’s anthology of articles and features, over a dozen of Hardcore Gaming 101’s retrospectives and rankings of the greatest games of all time, author and strategy guide writer Doug Walsh’s memoir of a career writing hint books for BradyGames and Prima, Rob O’Hara’s and Jamie Lendino’s histories of games developed for Commodore and Atari PCs, Unseen64’s complete library of games you’ve never played on consoles like Sega Saturn and PlayStation One, John Harris’s comprehensive guides to Animal Crossing: New Horizons and game hacks, collections of interviews with legendary game designers, and dozens more.
StoryBundle is a pay-what-you-want platform for independent authors to share their works with readers (and gamers) like you. Paying at least $5 will get you five books from the Greatest Hits Game Bundle, while paying $30 or more unlocks all 95 books. – David L. Craddock
This bundle is available only for a limited time via http://www.storybundle.com. It allows easy reading on computers, smartphones, and tablets as well as Kindle and other ereaders via file transfer, email, and other methods. You get multiple DRM-free formats (.epub, .mobi) for all books!
It’s also super easy to give the gift of reading with StoryBundle, thanks to our gift cards – which allow you to send someone a code that they can redeem for any future StoryBundle bundle – and timed delivery, which allows you to control exactly when your recipient will get the gift of StoryBundle.
Why StoryBundle? Here are just a few benefits StoryBundle provides.
- Get quality reads: We’ve chosen works from excellent authors to bundle together in one convenient package.
- Pay what you want (minimum $5): Youdecide how much these fantastic books are worth. If you can only spare a little, that’s fine! You’ll still get access to a batch of exceptional titles.
- Support authors who support DRM-free books: StoryBundle is a platform for authors to get exposure for their works, both for the titles featured in the bundle and for the rest of their catalog. Supporting authors who let you read their books on any device you want—restriction free—will show everyone there’s nothing wrong with ditching DRM.
- Give to worthy causes: Bundle buyers have a chance to donate a portion of their proceeds to The WHO COVID Relief Fund!
- Receive extra books: If you beat the bonus price, you’ll get the bonus books!
StoryBundle was created to give a platform for independent authors to showcase their work, and a source of quality titles for thirsty readers. StoryBundle works with authors to create bundles of ebooks that can be purchased by readers at their desired price. Before starting StoryBundle, Founder Jason Chen covered technology and software as an editor for Gizmodo.com and Lifehacker.com.